Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Dave's Run for ALS 5k

Uh, well, how much can I even say about a 5k? Let's find out.

So as I mentioned, this should have been a pretty fast course, however there was some pretty intense wind that would be in our faces for the first half of the race....so before we even started I knew it would be a little rough and probably not as fast as I hoped. I had walked around claiming that I was just running "for fun" and "didn't care about my time" (never true), and I figured the conditions would hold me to that lie.

Anyways as I said the wind was pretty intense the first mile and I tried real hard to stay with a pack. Luckily this was everyone else's plan as well so I actually did get to draft a little bit, although it didn't feel like it helped at all. About 1.5 miles in we turned so the wind was at our backs, and I have to say that it didn't feel like it helped me as much as the tailwind hurt. I also noticed throughout the entire race that I was not at all ready to run at a fast pace, and race pictures confirm that my marathon shuffle abides.

Note feet less than one centimeter off the ground
The last half mile or so was into the wind again, and let me tell you what it was rough. In the end I was pretty happy with my race: 3rd place female 19:22 (6:17, 6:05, 6:12, last 0.1 6:00).

Side note, 19:22 is my PR and this is the third race that I've run that exact time. It's good motivation to train hard for the next 5k, if I run 19:22 again I'm hanging up my 5k shoes for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment