Tuesday, January 20, 2015

This blog is so boring

So boring, would not read. I wrote a long post about motivation and wow, brand new thoughts, v original, great job. Here's the take-home points:

In high school I did running like so:
1. Do as coaches say, no more and no less
2. Profit (pay no attention to the relatively weak field of competition)

Which led to compliments and being too high on my own abilities, so in college:
1. I'm talented gosh darn it
2. Hell of minimal running
3. Pray in whining voice to running gods for well deserved miracle (sarcasm font)
4. Bad results

Anyways now I do like so:
1. Run as much as possible, mucho hard work, do as coaches say plus sneak some more in there
2. Pretty good results
3. But is it too much/will I get injured/will I burn out/or should I push through to profit/oh noooo
4. Oh my god get over yourself

I also want to put a thought here which is that Once A Runner is a very popular book (among runners) about which I have mixed feelings. It stokes my misandrist fires and I think it gives young running dummies too high a sense of self-worth, but on the other hand, it's v entertaining for any running nerd and has this one good thought that I think about a lot:

“What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes."


No comments:

Post a Comment