Monday, January 19, 2015

Training 01/12/2015-01/18/2015

I have no more big races planned until the marathon, so now it's time to really get after marathon training!

Monday -- 11 miles at 7:44 average pace. I definitely had to trick myself out the door this morning. I was pretty tired from the long day on Sunday, plus on Sunday night I had 2 glasses of wine. Weak sauce! I told myself I just had to do 4 miles but felt pretty good once I got moving. The "highlight" of this run was when I saw glowing eyes from the side of the road next to me, and realized it was either a big bobcat or a small mountain lion. This leads me to a fun thought spiral -- well I only saw it because of its eyes glowing in my headlamp, so that means it's probably there every day but I don't see it...maybe it's stalking me and learning my patterns and on a weak day it'll pounce....should I pepper spray a wild cat attacking me...anyways I made it back home fine but now I'm scared to run that direction.

Tuesday -- 13.3 miles at 7:50 average pace with 12 x 100m sprints in the middle. I apparently didn't understand the planned WOG workout and thought I needed to get in extra miles early, so I had done 7 miles by the time the workout started. Oh well, miles are miles.

Wednesday -- AM: 5 miles at 8:19 pace, PM: 5.2 miles at 7:44 pace. Wednesdays are just so tough. It's hard to get up in the morning after a workout Tuesday night, and I really prefer to run in the mornings. I would love to be doing a mid-week semi-long-run on Wednesdays but I just seem to be dragging every week. Decided to give splitting up the run into two a try....I don't know if this is better than getting it all done in the morning and having 12 more hours of rest. I might be losing my handle on reality a little? Or maybe I just need an easy day.

Thursday -- 11.8 miles total at 7:44 average pace. The planned WOG workout was 3 miles MP, 2 miles MP - 10sec, 1 mile MP - 20 sec, with a 2-minute jog in between sets. Goal: 6:50, 6:40, 6:30. Actual: 6:45, 6:37, 6:27. The first two miles in the MP set were too fast, thus setting me up for torture the rest of the workout.

Friday --  8.1 miles at 8:19 average pace. This was the Saguaro National Park east loop, a very challenging 8-mile road loop. It has many short steep hills and a 1.5 mile climb that ranges between 5-10% grade.

Saturday --  20.1 miles at 8:06 average pace. The second 10 miles was much faster than the first. This is the first 20-miler I've done that hasn't really been that hard. I mean, don't get me wrong, 20 miles is always hard, but I didn't really feel too bad the rest of the day. This was slower than I would have liked, but that's fine...I've heard that long runs are more about duration than pace, so that's what I'll tell myself this time. I was STILL sore from the race last Sunday, am I getting old or something.

Sunday -- 6 miles at 7:29 pace. Barely enough to get 80 miles for the week.

Total -- 80.7 miles at 7:55 average pace. Well, I really wanted to run 80 miles in a week and now I know what that's like. Verdict -- terrible. Maybe it was because I started the week off sore and tired from a race, but a lot of my runs felt  horrible this week and I was super tired all the time. I think that 60-70 miles seems to suit me much better for now. Although....maybe if I push on through, I'll get super fast (she said before running straight into an injury). Goal for next week is to not be an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment